Friday, March 27, 2009

Monoprint Minibook Tutorial

This is my first post in the new series I mentioned in my last post - Flaunt It Friday. In these posts I will go behind the scenes and show you something a bit different. I'm kicking it all off with a tutorial - my first! If you find any problems with it let me know and I'll fix them.

I made these minibooks with monoprint covers. I made the monoprint in layers. The first layer was actually painted - a very large loosely painted version of the still life. The next layer a stencil of a medium size version of the same still life was cut from paper and used in the printing. In the final layer a stencil was cut of a smaller version and again printed. I loved the idea originally, but the scale of the work detracted from all the details and colour variations. So cutting it up was the best option.
These minibooks have mixed paper pages. There are local handmade papers, vintage papers, some of my prints, and offcuts of watercolour papers. I have used different sizes to make it a truly unique book that is suited to sketches, notes, stories, poems, journalling and collage. They could be a one month journal or themed artist books.
I also added a little drawing to each book.


Download the tutorial below and enjoy! And you can buy these minibooks in my Etsy shop as well.
Monoprint Minibook Tutorial

10 comments:

Sara Bowen said...

Cool!

Chrisy said...

Jan...your
generosity
is inspiring
thanks
for sharing
so interesting
the cover process
the mixed papers
..enjoying your creativity...

Clare said...

Oh Wow Jan, This is a fabulous tute! All I need now is a tutorial on how to find the time to make some.
You asked Melissa about my 'chop mark', I didn't know that is what it is called. When my neighbour was in China two years ago she bought one in my name and one in my husband's name. They are carved from 'jade like' stone and are very beautiful indeed.

Jan Allsopp said...

Thanks Sarah, Chrisy and Clare! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Carol said...

Nice tutorial Jan. Easy to follow and explained everything. I think we tend to forget that something simple like sewing may be a complete mystery to someone thinking about making their first book. Lovely papers you've used, I like the mix.

WW said...

Very nice tutorial. Thanks much, Anita

MagicMarkingsArt said...

Jan, thank you for sharing! I'm always looking for new ideas for my art students, and this is wonderful.

Found your site through your post on flicker

Jan Allsopp said...

Thanks Cathie, I hope you post your students books on Flickr for me to see!

Jan Allsopp said...

Carol, Thanks for your comment. I thought I'd start my tutorial creating off with something not too challenging. It doesn't mean it's not fun though!

AJ,
Thanks!

THISNTHAT said...

What a treat! Thankyou. It's now on my (albeit long) list of things I'd really enjoy making time to do.
Lesley X