Thursday, January 01, 2009

About me

I have been making things (I’ve been told) for much longer than I can even remember. Art is my passion and drawing, painting, printing, bookbinding, sculpture and working with textiles are what bring my life meaning. I grew up in a house with strangely bright colors on the walls and mystifying patterns in the Persian rugs on the floors. I have loved color and pattern ever since and they are themes that continue in my art.

I love learning new techniques. I am currently undertaking a Bachelor of Arts degree in Art, which follows on from years of other studies and workshops in a wide range of art practices. I work in a computer lab with Kindergarten kids by day and print, paint and draw after hours. I’m inspired by everyday objects and my collection of vintage “How to…” books. I love to combine, intertwine and superimpose images to create a story, often making unusual combinations and injecting them with subtle humor.

I started this blog 26th March 2006 initially as a way of sharing my sketching with other members of the Yahoo group Everyday Matters. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed blogging and discovered that the blogging community is a fantastic bunch of people and a very sharing environment. I opened my Etsy shop in January 2008. Since then I have enjoyed the community that makes up Etsy and 'meeting' my customers who come from all over the globe. I am a very proud member of DUST Team (Down Under Street Team) and Printsy Street Team on Etsy, and I'm guest art editor for Etsy Profiles.

Viva the handmade revolution! Buy handmade and support an artist.



Etsy: Your place to buy & sell all things handmade
janallsopp.etsy.com

2 comments:

Irene Katakis said...

Hi Jan, I really love all your work. I was wondering if by any chance you studied through Curtin Uni of technology?? I saw your A1 image of teh chairs and that is what we had to do for one of our projects. I really love your chairs.

Jan Allsopp said...

Hi Irene, yes I study through Curtin although I've had quite a break from it this year. Back into it again nest year. I'm assuming you are too. A Ning was started by some students to make keeping in touch outside units easlier. If you email me jan[at]janallsopp.com.au I'll email you the invite to join so you can check it out and see if you like it. Its been pretty quite lately but it's still a food group to be in.