Sunday, November 30, 2008

Growing Up - Measure it up!

This rebound sketchbook is Growing Up, a novel by Angela Thirkell from 1945. The book has an original inscriptions inside the cover – ‘Margaret Knox’ and ‘from Jenny Xmas 1945’. So when I rebound this book I was careful to leave the endpapers and title pages just as they were – well almost!
As I carefully disassembled the book to begin the rebinding I found a small treasure hidden between the pages for 60 years! A little list Margaret had written herself. On a small page torn from a notepad is a list of music to investigate ‘Tchaikovsky concerto in B flat minor, When the heater gleams like stardust…’ I’ll leave the rest of the list for the new owner to discover themselves, which they can because I’ve bound the fragment of paper into the book so it sits with the title pages.
Included in this rebound sketchbook/journal are:
*32 original pages scattered throughout
*1 note page (see above)
*32 pages smooth 190gsm Draw & Wash paper (archival)
*20 rough Arches 185gsm watercolour paper (100% cotton rag)
Added to this is a tape measure ribbon page marker so you can measure how much you have grown! The original red book cloth cover had faded to a gorgeous rust colour. It is in pretty good condition for its age. I reinforced the spine to extend its life a little longer. Unfortunately a couple of small splits appeared while I was working on the book. The reinforcing should keep more damage from occurring but I can never be sure with such an old book. Ah, but that is part of the charm of old books – they take on a life of their own!
My rebound books make great sketchbooks or journals. I use high quality paper and archival bookbinders glue, pastes and materials. I allow each book to ‘tell’ me how it wants to be reborn so they are all very different.


And all my rebound books, including Growing Up, are part of the Etsy Black Friday - Cyber Monday sale! 10% off! But the price will go back to normal on Tues Dec 2. Check my shop for more details and browse the rest of the great sellers at Etsy for bargains in this promotion.

1 comment:

Alison said...

You have been busy with all these journals. You find some great titles.