Tuesday, July 07, 2009

On the weekend I...

...went to Taree.
I work in a school. Sometimes the journal writing there inspires me to write. Looks like it didn't work very well this week.

What was inspiring though was the (can I say absolutely fabulous again?) Absolutely Fabulous Neil Cuthbert exhibition on at the Manning Regional Art Gallery.
I hadn't heard of Cuthbert before but wow! I now know. I love his paintings and it is a huge exhibition. It really is a 'must see'.
I'm often a bit of a sucker for a good narrative painting anyway, but these are really remarkable. And yes, I am inspired. I am thinking figurative narrative thoughts...
The Taree Regional Art Gallery was also the venue for the latest Building Blox forum I spoke at. Once again I was thrilled with the day. I met so many interesting people and I was able to spread the word about how Etsy is a great way for artists and crafts people to sell online. And about how DUST is a wonderful support network for Australian Etsy sellers. Doing something similar in Port Macquarie in the next few weeks. I hope you will come along if you can.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Jan,
The couple of paintings you have shown here remind me a lot of your work, im not quite sure what it is but there is something about it that makes me think of what i have seen of your paintings.

Jan Allsopp said...

Wow Angela, that is the greatest compliment I could imagine receiving! His work has really inspired me to do more of those paintings again - and now you have motivated me. THANK YOU!

Sharon Brennan said...

Jan
You are simply amazing! I don't know how you have time to go to school.

Jan Allsopp said...

Neither do I Sharon! Having trouble getting there today I can tell you.

lyptis said...

U got a lovely blog, they are all great paintings!