Thursday, July 26, 2007

Barking at Shadows

Really that is just an attempt at a 'catchy' title. There is no actual barking or shadows in this post. Instead I've gone back into my own archives to get some dog portraits I did a couple of years ago. Of course there is the stunningly handsome "Roly" up first. He is my number one dog!

I really like this next one. Of course his name is "Buster". What else could it be?
At the time I was experimenting with using a standard size square canvas and using multiples of that for the various size paintings.

Up next is "Brandy". At the time I painted this, Brandy was a pup who had transformed his owners lives. He really does have that little Hitler mustache, but I purposefully included the devil horns in the shadow of his head. A little artistic license.

And here is "Freddy". I've never met a more gentle and affectionate dog. He lived across the road until recently when he passed on. He was a Briard. And very gorgeous with it.

And this handsome man is "Sandy". I had painted his master and when I was looking for subjects I had a stab at Sandy. He just doesn't sit still for a second. He is also a really interesting colour. Yes he is sandy, but the tips of each hair/fur is charcoal.
I really do hope I'll have something new to add here soon, but I just don't know if I will. I took a break, yes. But I had no idea it would extend itself. I am now starting to realise I was pretty burnt out. I do feel myself improving and I am enjoying myself, but not in a drawing or painting way. Would you like to see some photos of the fabulous food I'm cooking, the shirt I'm sewing or maybe a board game shot? Because that does seem to be all I'm doing at the moment.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Jan, these are lovely, each one has a very different personality. I would love to meet a Briard one day. Enjoying the mundane - that sounds like a very healthy way to give yourself space and time to recover from burnout. Have you ever seen http://smittenkitchen.com/ - where distinctions like food/art start to blur dramatically. Take care, Fiona

caseytoussaint said...

These are stunning! I'm not generally a fan of dog portraits, but these are so well composed and painted, without a hint of kitsch! You've renewed the genre.

Anonymous said...

No cats in the jetty (or inkjet fabric)? These are adorable and so colorful. I really like the idea of different canvases to make up one painting. It's like a puzzle. Of course Mr. R is a handsome devil. And that last guy with his tail wagging is just the cat's meow. Had to get a cat in there somehow.

Anonymous said...

PS, I'd like to see the shirt please. I can't sew clothing. No matter what I sew it always looks like I did it.

Anonymous said...

hi Jan! such a great expression on Roly (is he a pensive guy?) and i like the wagging tail of Sandy, too.

and yes! i would love to see pictures of what you're cooking and sewing. i think these other things fuel our art in ways we're not always conscious about, right?
and board games are the best! sometimes my family plays for championship and penalties. have you played Settlers and Bang!? fun, fun, fun. i also like using the go board game pieces to play tic tac toe (but connect 5 instead of 3 and on a much bigger board). simple game but can be very addictive. :).

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Jan these are SO so good. I think there is a fantastic exhibition in these portraits. I always feel so frustrated with my lack of ability in drawing living, breathing beings. I am in awe at artists who really show personality through portraits. I also find that sometimes pet portraits can be quite mawkish. These are definately not. This a wonderful series of paintings. And Buster is my favourite!

Mandy said...

wow. i'm glad to hear you're going to paint again. you should. these are beautiful. i love how you've painted on the square canvases and pieced them together.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd be thrilled to have you link to it, and even more thrilled to see you in action as an artist...again.