Sunday, February 25, 2007

A peek at my (untitled) Artists Book





In the course of my studies I had to make a printed artists book that included multi-plate prints and text. These images show just a little of my little book. The book looks at "image" and how others form an image of us by how we present our bodies. The brief book limits this exploration to tattooed, clothed and naked bodies. It utilised visual metaphors and dual-meaning words that bring the bodies closer to "book". The in-a-nutshell clique that may explain it all is "you can't judge a book by its cover"! If you would like to see more images of this book just click here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan,
This is wonderful! The semi-detached human figures are so imaginative. Is this cover from a recycled book? Thanks to you, I just bought another book to recycle with WC paper - this one a New York Tax Account Book from 1929 - the year of our big Stock Market crash. It cost 3 pounds on Charing Cross London.

Laureline said...

This is SO impressive, Jan. I really, really like it. The National Museum of Women in the Arts in DC has an annual Book as Art show. I don't know if it's an invitational, but you ought to check into it. Even if you can't enter it, you'd really enjoy seeing the work of other book artists. I missed this year's by just a few days, but I'm guessing there will be images on their website.

Jan Allsopp said...

Thanks Shirly and Laura! Shirley, no this is not a rebound book but a new construction. And Laura, I have checked out the website you mention as part of my research when developing my concept. I never thought of looking at being a part of it! Maybe I'll look into it...(?)

Jade said...

a wonderful looking book, wish i could have a 'read'...

Anonymous said...

I like "spine" too. It's nice when an artist labels stuff ;D

And that figure is great, very much a surprise.