Sunday, January 07, 2007

'The Path to Rome' Part 2 - Siena

Siena! Spent a couple of days there and really enjoyed it. The Duomo at Siena is famous for its inlaid marble floor. Because it is old and precious AND a floor, they keep it covered 11 months of the year. We were lucky enough to see it during our visit. Took some great photos of it, but you know, I never thought of drawing it, not once, until I started to type this. Oh well, another place I will just HAVE to go back to...














In the evenings we would go down to 'il campo' for a drink and some antipasta, just like everyone else! I drew as many of them as I could, but it was the end of a big day, and there was that cool wind, and I had to stop to drink something warming...















I love food anyway, but the food in Tuscany was amazing! It's hard to pick a favourite, but this is definitely one of them. A delicious regional salami with fennel seeds in it. Devine!

5 comments:

SideShowMom said...

Jan, those are great! What a wonderful way to remember your trip!

df said...

Shirley just sent me the link to your site. I love it. I love your recycled books! I make my own sketchbooks too, but a lazy way where I've just inserted watercolor pages or have just reused the original books covers. I can't wait to check out your archives.

Alison said...

The shadows just make this little salami painting

Anonymous said...

Is that you strolling with all those bags? I like the way the text wraps around. Ah, the joy of Italian cooking. How was the pizza?

Anastasia said...

Ahhh Siena
so beautiful!!!
love your salami sketch!